Free contraception trial for people under the age of 25
A free contraception trial for people under the age of 25 will start on 1 September 2022 in the regions of Hanko, Vihti, Karkkila, Kirkkonummi and Lohja.
The trial is part of the Future Health and Social Services Centre project, and its objective is to develop and unify contraception services for people under the age of 25 in the Western Uusimaa Wellbeing Services County.
The purpose of the trial is to organise comprehensive, smooth, uniform and readily accessible contraception services that cover pregnancy and STD prevention, advisory services for sexual and reproductive health, and sexual education. Once the trial is over, it will be decided whether the project will be regularised.
The trial will run from 1 September 2022 to 31 August 2023, giving all residents of Hanko, Vihti, Karkkila, Kirkkonummi and Lohja under the age of 25, as well as customers of the municipalities’ student health care services, full access to all contraception methods (IUDs, contraceptive implants, contraceptive rings, contraceptive pills, condoms) regardless of their gender, with a health care professional helping them select the most suitable option.
The trial will be carried out within the limit of the budgetary resources of the project.
For more information, please turn to your local contraception clinic or your school or student health nurse.
The current situation in the other municipalities of the Western Uusimaa Wellbeing Services County:
- Espoo: Contraception is provided completely free of charge to people under the age of 20. Customers aged 20–24 are provided with combined contraceptive pills, progestin-only pills (minipills) or a contraceptive ring free of charge for the first year of use. Customers under the age of 25 can have an IUD or contraceptive capsule free of charge.
- Kauniainen: All Kauniainen residents under the age of 21 are provided with an opportunity to have free contraception.
- Siuntio: Everyone under the age of 25 is provided with an opportunity to have free contraception.
- Ingå: Everyone under the age of 25 is provided with an opportunity to have free contraception.
- Raseborg: People under the age of 20 are provided with contraceptives free of charge.